General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR): getting past the hype and starting the journey to compliance
You are invited to join us for this important workshop which we have organised in conjunction with Belfast Barrister, Orlagh Kelly.
part from having already delivered Data Protection training to 600 businesses across the UK – and being featured in Forbes magazine – Orlagh is the Data Protection Trainer for The Law Society of Northern Ireland.
General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) will be implemented by the Government on May 25 2018.
Every business in Northern Ireland will be affected by the new legislation and it is imperative that you begin the process of implementing the changes as soon as possible.
This vital workshop will help you identify the risks to your business and help you understand what you need to do before the new legislation is in place.
The new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) is getting a lot of airtime right now. The potential of being on the receiving end of huge fines of up to €20 million is making all types of organisations sit up and take notice.
But how much of the hype is actually true? And do all organisations actually need to make significant changes?
On this barrister-led course we examine the changes in the legislation and work out how they actually impact your organisation.
You will learn the 12 Key areas about GDPR that will affect your business
- Fines, criminal proceedings and a ruined reputation. Why your organisation needs to pay careful attention to data protection.
- The background to the GDPR. Is it just another unnecessary burden on businesses?
- How GDPR will affect every organisation.
- Data protection obligations on organisations under the 1998 Act and how these change under GDPR.
- The Brexit Effect on GDPR
- Nine Key changes brought in by GDPR
- Mandatory Data Protection Officers. What are they and do you need one?
- The complexities of making international transfers of data and how to do it right.
- Significant changes for data processors.
- The Information Commissioner’s Office – more powers and higher fines.
- The true risks and consequences for a data breach in your organisation.
- Start your journey to GDPR compliance.
Who should attend?
Anyone in a business, organisation, charity or public body with a role in IT, human resources, legal, compliance or with current data protection responsibilities.
The course is also extremely relevant for members of any management team as well as board members.
About your presenter, Orlagh Kelly
Belfast barrister Orlagh Kelly ran her own legal practice for twelve years representing clients in almost two thousand court cases before starting a legal technology company, Briefed, and developing the first mobile practice management platform for barristers, featured in the Apple iTunes store and Forbes magazine.
Building on her legal and technological expertise, Orlagh created a series of Masterclasses in Data Protection, delivering these in person and online throughout the U.K. since 2013. Market demand for data protection expertise led an expansion of the Briefed portfolio to include specialised services in GDPR training, consultancy, compliance and certification.
To date more than six hundred businesses throughout the UK have benefitted from the experience and knowledge of the Briefed team.
Orlagh is the Data Protection trainer for The Law Society of Northern Ireland.